Sunday, April 17, 2011

Again, I Had Night Visitors

Rude noise from the dark world.
And the silent night carries the echo into my room,
Through a glass window.
It has to be some technicians at work,
Fixing the metal framework or something
And the good fellows would not want to disturb the sleeping occupant
So they go about their business quietly, persistently.
But they were not quiet enough,
Because I later woke up,
In fact, I sprang up,
Only in time to see a hand dart backward through the burglary
Like a huge fang of a strange animal.
And the alarm in my head went off.
“They are stealing! They are stealing!!
“They are thieves! They are thieves!!”
For the second time, I woke up,
Now with less disoriented-ness.
But that happened several seconds late.
My laptop on the reading table had already gone,
So was the external drive.
Just the same way my LG phone disappeared two months ago.
Without thinking, I made for the door.
Ran to the gate.
Oh! I forgot the key on the table.
Ran back, get the key and went in hot pursuit of the night visitors.
Like a soul possessed by evil spirit,
I ran up and down the full length of Market Street,
Alone in the cold night.
But all I saw was empty road
The neighbourhood has gone to sleep.
The time was 2:35 am or thereabout.
Then I started shouting: “Thief! Thief!!, help! Help!!”
And I got some response.
“Gbooh! Gbooh!! Gbooh!!!”
Only the dogs heard me.
At night in Grahamstown,
Only dogs are your true friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment